This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Do I need an appointment?

Self Care

Many thinks improve by themselves, or with the right advice.

NHS Choices has a great 'Health A-Z' section, giving advice on managing a large range of conditions.

The following videos have been created by the Vale of York Self-care Steering Group to provide information about self care.

Medicine Cabinet essentials

Treating cold and flu

Treating coughs

Treating sore throats

Treating ear infections

Treating sinusitis

Treating diarrhoea

Treating back pain

Treating musculoskeletal pain

Sleep disorders

Managing fatigue

Viral infections

Managing anxiety and low mood

However, if you are still concerned about a health problem, there are a number of different options available to you:

Speak to your local pharmacist

Your local pharmacist will offer consultations and provide advice and treatment for a range of minor illnesses. They are also trained to recognise the warning signs of more serious illness and will be able to suggest you see your doctor.

Minor Injury Unit, Selby Hospital

The Minor Injury Unit (MIU) is a drop in service for the assessment and treatment of minor injuries.

The MIU can treat:

Sprains, strains, broken bones, wound infections, minor burns and scalds, minor head injuries, insect and animal bites, minor eye injuries, injuries to the back, shoulder and chest.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website